- 500g lean mince
- 2 tins (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 10 mushrooms, chopped
- Tin of 4 bean mix, mashed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 600ml skim milk
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- lasagne sheets
- good splash of red wine
- spray oil
1. Meat sauce – cook onions, mushrooms and garlic until soft, and then add mince. Add in carrot, zucchini, beans, herbs, paste, tomatoes and red wine. Lower heat and simmer for 30 mins.
2. White sauce – melt butter and flour together in a pan and slowly add in milk while continually stirring. Add pepper to taste.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
4. Prepare lasagne layers in a baking dish with meat, white sauce and sheets. On the top layer, pour remaining white sauce and add a sprinkling of grated low fat cheddar or parmesan. Cook for 45 mins.
5. Serve an 8cm x 8cm piece with a healthy side salad!
Lean beef mince – good source of protein (muscle repair and recovery), iron (energy and carrying oxygen around the body), B12 (helps form red blood cells, mental function and promotes growth), zinc (enzymatic reactions, carbohydrate metabolism, sperm in males)
Onion and garlic – great for colds and eliminating phlegm and symptoms, boosts immunity.
Carrots – rich source of beta carotene (Vit A), B1 and B2, potassium, sodium and silicon. Helps night vision, inhibits cataracts, treats indigestion and protects against cancer. Helps improve skin appearance and calcium absorption.
Tomatoes – rich in Vit A and Vit C, calcium, phosphorus and potassium, detoxifies the body and contains lycopene – a powerful antioxidant
Zucchini – high in Vit A, calcium, phosphorus and potassium, food for circulation
4 bean mix – good source of fibre, protein, low GI and low in fat
Parsley – good for flushing out kidneys and eliminates fluid retention. Strengthens digestion and promotes delayed menstruation.